[webkit-qt] Remote Web Inspector / Inspector Server

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com
Tue Apr 10 05:26:34 PDT 2012

Hello Web Knitters,

the inspector server landed last week for QtWebKit, with it you should finally be able to inspect web pages with WebKit2.
The way it is enabled is by specifying the server port in the QTWEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER environment variable.
The default bound interface is loopback, you can open the server on a specific interface by stating it's address.
So a typical local inspection session on port 9999 would look like this:

1. QTWEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER=9999 ./MiniBrowser
2. Open http://127.0.0.1:9999 in a WebKit browser

On a device (i.e. the N9 over usb networking) it would look like:

1 (device).  QTWEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER=192.168.2.14:9999 ./MiniBrowser
2 (desktop). Open http://192.168.2.14:9999 in a WebKit browser

Note 1: For security and performance reasons I strongly discourage exporting QTWEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER in your .bashrc / shell startup script.
Note 2: Chrome or QtTestBrowser should work well as clients (it is still pretty unusable with a MiniBrowser/WebKit2 client).
Note 3: The current plan is to only support remote inspection for 5.0.0, no in-process inspector client like we have in WebKit1.
Note 4: If your are facing issues please let me know.

Jocelyn