[webkit-qt] qt5 version updated for bot / development

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Fri Oct 14 04:52:43 PDT 2011

Hey,

I don't understand why we should stick to a given version. Every fixes
we do in Qt5 (which is on-going dev version, so read a lot) and then
QtWebKit will be slown down by the fact that we need to :

- ask Ossy to update the bot.
- wait the bot to be updated.
- warn the ML
- finally cq+

Yesterday a build fix (the drag and drop stuff) was hold, blocking a
lot of people because of the bot. I gave up and apply the patch
locally.

I know Ossy is very sensible about the bot but the WK2 one is not
public, Qt5 is still a very moving target with quality control and a
set of keys (the CI ones) that we could stick with.

What about updating it every day at a given time. Worst case a patch
in QtWebKit will not be stuck for long, it doesn't require Ossy to be
always available and it helps us to fix both Qt5 and QtWebKit at a
fast pace.

QA is good, QA is important, but QA should not slow down developement,
it rather helps it to get better. Today it feels on the way rather
than helping us like WK1 bots are doing.

/me expects an angry Ossy answer :D

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Simon Hausmann
<simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Ossy updated the Qt 5 version used by the WebKit2 bot ( http://build.webkit.sed.hu/buildslaves/szeged-linux-22 ), it is now at 37ea8e961b8fdaaa1f36758b8ad059b23c013f15 .
>
> Getting the sources is now a simple matter of:
>
>        git clone git://gitorious.org/qt/qt5.git qt5
>        cd qt5
>        git checkout 37ea8e961b8fdaaa1f36758b8ad059b23c013f15
>        ./init-repository --module-subset=qtbase,qtxmlpatterns,qtscript,qtdeclarative
>
> (see also http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git )
>
> Happy building with ./configure -nokia-developer && make :)
>
> For Harmattan builds you'll need an additional set of patches, see https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQt5OnHarmattan .
>

> Simon

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer