[webkit-qt] Building QtWebKit on Mac fails linking undefined CSSParser::lex

Dominic Cooney dominicc at chromium.org
Sun May 22 18:57:52 PDT 2011

Thanks for the advice and link to your bots! I guess for my bug I can
just go back to building on Linux, although morbid curiosity makes me
want to see this work on Mac… (I’m using Snow Leopard 10.6.7, BTW.)

I did some digging and the problem is MacPorts flex (@2.5.35) doesn’t
generate any output at this build step:

flex -t < ../../../Source/WebCore/css/tokenizer.flex

flex just writes 34 warnings to stderr like:

<stdin>:116: warning, the character range [\200-\377] is ambiguous in
a case-insensitive scanner

These refer to any place {string} or {ident} are used. Thus there’s no
YY_DECL, thus no int CSSParser::lex() that the linker is complaining
about.

The flex in /usr/bin/flex (also in 2.5.35, but I suppose supplied by
Apple) doesn’t generate these warnings and does generate scads of
flexy tables. Great.

I will add a note to the wiki about this. Build is rolling along now…
I’ll see how far it gets :)

Thanks all for your help,

Dominic