[webkit-qt] QtWebKit, the multimedia support today and tomorrow.

Pierre Rossi pierre.rossi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:47:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 17:08, Alexis Menard <alexis.menard at openbossa.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> DISCLAIMER : It may be controversial for some people.
>
> For many months, the QtWebKit team has worked on the multimedia
> support coming with HTML5. We had a first Phonon backend, abandoned
> and really far from feature completion and far from working well. When
> QtMultimedia appeared a new backend was added to the tree providing a
> more extensive API than Phonon and supporting more platforms
> (Symbian). This is the default today if you have Qt Mobility
> installed. Unfortunately Qt Multimedia really lacks of QA and
> stability, the quality of the backends is really heterogenous and
> backends behaves differently. I tried hard to communicate with the Qt
> Multimedia team, they helped a lot but even today Qt Multimedia is not
> good enough and I feel the support is built on unstable foundations.
>
> On the other hand last year Simon and me investigated on the
> multimedia support in WebKit2, he took over when I moved to INdT but
> the result can be seen on the N9 Browser. This implementation is not
> using Qt Multimedia but instead a modified version of the GStreamer
> backend sitting in webkit.org and maintained + used mainly by the GTK
> port. The lesson learned from this implementation is that it was hard
> for us (we don't have particular knowledge of GStreamer) to go into
> the code and hacked it the way we wanted it. But with time we did it
> and at the end we are providing a really good and tailored
> implementation, by supporting texture streaming for example, things we
> couldn't have done in Qt Multimedia easily because we were tight to
> the API and their release schedule. While I was in INdT, I worked on
> the GStreamer backend upstream to make sure it was working well on
> regular linux desktop. It does now and has the same features as
> QtMultimedia. You can enable it by passing DEFINES+=USE_GSTREAMER=1 to
> your build-webkit script. At the end the code is fairly small and
> doesn't have the same complexity as Qt Multimedia GStreamer backend,
> at the end we just playback sounds and videos :D.
>
> After this successful effort I investigated other platforms like Mac.
> Again I looked at what Apple is shipping and I used it. If you pass
> DEFINES+=USE_QTKIT=1 when building QtWebKit on Mac you can enable the
> media support using the QuickTime backend the mac port is using. The
> implementation is working fairly well too and actually support more
> stuff than QtMultimedia does : the fullscreen support is working
> better (animated, Tor-Arne will love it) and has playback controls in
> fullscreen using the existing native theming. I found it pretty easy
> to use and It didn't require that much changes in Apple's code to make
> it work.
>
> So the advantages are :
>
> - We have pretty well working implementation on Mac and Linux (and N9
> by extension).
> - We supports more features than QtMultimedia does.
> [...]

Yo, M. I-m-a-daddy-now !

Nice job, and good thing you took the time presenting all this. In the light
of recent discussions, for instance the fact that Symbian won't get Qt5
(said Sebastian at QCS), I think using the upstream backends make sense.
Your proposal for windows sounds pretty good too, and that should help
relieving a bit of pressure from the QtMultimedia guys at least for the
early days of Qt5, we can always re-evaluate the situation and decide when
the time comes to make the switch.

Cheers,
--
Piere