[webkit-qt] Frame render doesn't support content rendering not clipped to viewport.

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Wed Jan 19 03:36:10 PST 2011

On 01/19/2011 03:41 AM, ext viatcheslav.ostapenko at nokia.com wrote:
>> -conceptually, the frame is the viewport on the document
>
> No, it's not.
> Viewport is window (or part of window) where part of frame contents visible.
> Frame is a special element of the document.

:D

>> -now that I think of it, QWebFrame::render() without clipping cannot be
>> made to work with accelerated compositing, while QWebElement::render()
>> could (altough I don't know if it does currently...).
>
> Actually, they call the same FrameView::paintContents and work similar, so with accel. compositing QWebElement::render will not render layers.

That is not my point.

Conceptually, from an API point of view, you could render stuff with
software fallback when rendering sub-tree. Using software fallback for
QWebFrame::render() depending on the paint device would be too difficult
for us to ensure.

(Also note the implementations are actually differents, rendering
through QWebElement renders with a root layer and without compositing)

cheers,
Benjamin