[webkit-qt] Phonon and webkit-qt

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 10 19:29:09 PST 2011

wrote:
> > On 01/09/2011 10:19 PM, ext Trever Fischer wrote:
> > > Us over in phonon land are wondering about webkit-qt's relationship
> > > with Phonon.
> > >
> > > * Whats the current status of Phonon's integration with webkit-qt?
> > > * How can phonon be improved to fit your use cases?
> > >
> > > We're in #phonon on freenode and i'm idling in #webkit if a more
> > > interactive medium is desired.
> >
> > I personnaly would not mind both in the tree, Phonon and QtMultimedia,
> > as long as the phonon backup is maintained actively by the Phonon guys.
>
> I agree with Benjamin. I don't see any problem with a Phonon based
> backend in the tree as long as it is maintained.
>
> > I understand there is a need from KDE, and I think some guys behind
> > Phonon are not affraid to contribute to WebKit. Trever, do you agree
> > with this statement?
> > It would also be good to have more people working on multimedia. The
> > phonon devs could find problems in other backend while making patches.
>
> Yeah, it would be great to have you guys on board hacking on multimedia
> stuff :)
>
> > But, is it possible to have three backend (QtMultimedia, GStreamer and
> > Phonon) at the same time in QtWebKit without adding mess in the codebase?
> >
> > Simon, Tor Arne, Alexis, any input on the matter?
>
> I can think of two things that are needed for a kick-ass integration with
> Phonon. There may be more, but these two I can think of off the top of my
> head.
>
> 1) Support for integration with accelerated compositing. That means Phonon
> needs to provide an interface that allows _efficient_ video rendering
> without the need to have a QWidget around:
>
>   * The interface could consists of a function that allows rendering into a
> given QPainter, and ideally would use things like beginNativePainting() /
> endNativePainting() where applicable.
>
>   * The interface could provide a QGraphicsItem that can be integrated into
> the first-generation QGraphicsView based scene graph.
>
>   * Apart from a software-fallback that allows painting into a QPainter, it
> would be good to allow for rendering using OpenGL, i.e. rendering into an
> FBO that is bound to a texture the TextureMapper can draw.
>
> 2) Phonon would need to provide API that allows WebKit to _push_ data into
> Phonon.

via #phonon:
[21:44] <phononlogger> tdfischer: about the webkit stuff ... qgraphicsitem stuff
is on my todo for 4.5, push based abstractstreaming should be possible, we
just need to think of a nice way to do it

and via http://community.kde.org/Phonon#Release_Schedule:
4.4 is scheduled to be released around the 19th. 4.5 is planned for before our
Randa 2011 development sprint, which is the first week of june or so.

> Can anyone else think of additional requirements that may or may not be
> covered by Phonon at the moment?
If anyone does, I encourage them to send them to the kde-multimedia list at
kde-multimedia at kde.org.

Backend-specific discussion can be sent to phonon-backends at kde.org if someone
finds problems with a specific backend or whatnot.