[webkit-qt] On the WK2 C APIs usage

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Mon Dec 19 00:11:59 PST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 05:21:07 PM ext Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When developing inside Source/WebKit2/**/qt/, is there a
> recommendation or preference
> whether we should use WK2 C APIs or the implementation classes directly?

Another argument I would see in favour of using the C APIs is that there is a
chance of using functionality that can be unit tested.

"What on earth does he mean with that?" you may ask :)

Well, the Apple folks wrote up a nice set of unit tests for the C API, under
Tools/TestWebKitAPI. There are also tests for some WTF classes and WK1.

Sadly we're not compiling & running these tests ourselves. However I don't
think it's a mission-impossible to implement PlatformWebView and friends for
Qt. Then we could build our API on top of something that tests the WK2 aspects
of things.

Simon