[webkit-qt] QtWebKit-2.1 - almost there

Ademar Reis ademar.reis at openbossa.org
Wed Nov 24 07:10:12 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:29 AM,  <alexis.menard at nokia.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 24:01, ext Ademar Reis wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody.
>>

> Hi Ademar,

Hi Alexis!

>> QtWebKit-2.1 has lots of enhancements, bugfixes and support for new
>> web standards. A work-in-progress list of high-level changes together
>> with a list of commits and bugs/tasks fixed since the fork from trunk
>> is up on the wiki: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitFeatures21
>>
>> We have a tight schedule and an RC should be available Real Soon
>> Now(TM), :-) so don't waste any time, fire up your build tools, run a
>> test on your environment and give us your feedback. We're particularly
>> interested in any kind of regressions since qtwebkit-2.0 (which was
>> released with Qt-4.7.0) or any major breakage. Feel free to share your
>> thoughts or problems on this mailing list and on the #qtwebkit IRC
>> channel @ freenode. Your feedback will be really appreciated.
>>
>> Unfortunately we couldn't provide pre-compiled binaries or packages at
>> this time (we'll do better in future releases, I promisse) :-)
>>

> I was wondering if us, QtWebKit Team, should define a small test plan of things to do before a release something like
> - Build against current stable Qt run this and this demos based on QtWebKit
> - Go to youtube.com test flash and html5 (when it will work :D)
> - Go there and there (define problematic well know websites)
> - Test webbrowser demo of QML
> - Test the browser demo in Qt
> - Go to a SSL website based login
> - Test an well known hybrid app
>
> Because the layouts tests are not everything.
>
> We can write it down to the wiki so it's easier for people to test the branch. And we can run those small manuals tests regularly like once every two weeks on the release branch
> so that we can track down issue before the RC state for instance. (I mean lot of us tried the 2.1 but with the back-ports and stuff you never know). We can change who is doing the test plan every two weeks.
> It won't take more than 30 minutes and I predict it will give lot of benefits for us like confidence for example.

Yep, that's a good idea, we were really missing a public test plan
(thanks for bringing this up!). I've created a page on the wiki with
some instructions based on your suggestions:
https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitTesting. I'll ask the Q&A guys to
help us with a public test-plan and let's try to put in practice your
idea of assigning some people to run the tests every two weeks or
something.

BTW, if someone knows good websites to use in the tests (in
particular, javascript and CSS intensive websites) or sites with
online tests, please add links to the wiki (I'm sure there are several
available and you guys should know the best ones).

Thanks!
  - Ademar

--
Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <ademar.reis at openbossa.org>
OpenBossa Labs - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia