[webkit-qt] Intercept calls to unkown mime types

Felipe Crochik felipe at crochik.com
Fri May 7 12:44:57 PDT 2010

I believe this is a pretty basic/standard task for anybody using QWebkit so I decided to ask before trying to reinvent the wheel.

My goal is to use external applications to deal with urls (like mp4, pdf) that the webkit can't by default.

Webkit "handles" mainly html and images but does not know what to do with other file formats like pdf, mp3, mp4,... I found out where you can allow or stop on Url from being loaded but all the information I have to decide is the url itself.... I would like to inquiry the server about it so I can use the mime type on the header to decide instead.

My obvious idea is to just request the head on the acceptNavigationRequest but it seems somewhat redundant (or worst) because in most cases I will find out that it is a type that I actually will want to allow webkit to handle and webkit will have to request the same url again. Is there another way out? Some other slot on webframe, webframeloader?

Thanks in advance