[webkit-qt] WebKit2 and QtWebKit

Ivan De Marino ivan.de.marino at gmail.com
Tue May 4 02:25:37 PDT 2010

Is there any official/unofficial/back-of-the-toilet-paper documentation of
WebKit2?
Or for now should be happy to read the code? :D

On 30 April 2010 15:55, Antti Koivisto <koivisto at iki.fi> wrote:

> Sounds good to me as well.
>

>   antti
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Kenneth Christiansen
> <kenneth.christiansen at openbossa.org> wrote:
> > I'm all for it, and both me and Luiz have a lot of interest in
> > participating in this work. We have also already studied it in deep
> > detail during our evening work hours.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kenneth
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Simon Hausmann
> > <simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> after the WebKit contributor's conference we've had a couple of really
> good
> >> discussions about WebKit2 and the Qt port. We concluded - among many
> options -
> >> that the best way forward would be try to make the single-threaded
> QtWebKit
> >> that we currently have work better first. So we would continue down that
> road
> >> for a while more and once the single-threaded version flies, then it
> would make
> >> sense to join the WebKit2 project. There are fruits left in the
> performance
> >> tree, especially in the text branch :-)
> >>
> >> For the actual work on porting Qt to WebKit2 I think we should explore
> the
> >> idea of a new API, based on the same version of WebCore. Perhaps we'd
> simply
> >> end up with still one QtWebKit DLL, but more classes in the public API
> :)
> >>
> >> I propose that we try to get funding for a one week workshop with 5-10
> >> developers. The goal would be to spend the week to get a Qt based
> WebKit2 up
> >> and running in the trunk. I think the work would consist of cleaning up
> our
> >> layer violations and implementing a basic API/wrapper on the WebKit2
> side.
> >>
> >> I heard the Szeged hackers suggested to have that workshop in their
> university
> >> in Hungary, which I think is a great idea.
> >>
> >> What do you guys think?
> >>
> >> Simon

> > --
> > Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
> > Technical Lead / Senior Software Engineer
> > Qt Labs Americas, Nokia Technology Institute, INdT
> > Phone  +55 81 8895 6002 / E-mail kenneth.christiansen at openbossa.org

Ivan De Marino | Software Engineer | France Telecom R&D UK - Orange Labs
w. +44 20 8849 5806 | m. +44 7515 955 861 | m. +44 7974 156 216
ivan[dot]demarino[at]orange-ftgroup.com |
ivan[dot]de[dot]marino[at]gmail[dot]com
www.detronizator.org | www.linkedin.com/in/ivandemarino