[webkit-qt] QtWebKit 2.0 and Qt 4.7

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Thu Mar 11 05:09:31 PST 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 Hausmann Simon (Nokia-D-Qt/Oslo), wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The next feature release of Qt is going to be versioned 4.7, and its
> schedule happens to be very close to our QtWebKit 2.0 schedule. In fact
> the plan is to be done with Qt 4.7 in week 19 and we are aiming at week 18
> for QtWebKit 2.0.
>
> From the Qt side we'd like to include the latest releases of QtWebKit in
> src/3rdparty/webkit, so once we cut a release we can import it into Qt's
> master branch. Qt's master branch becomes 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, etc. when it
> feature freezes, which technically happened already for 4.7.
>
> Strictly speaking by these rules QtWebKit 2.0 will become part of Qt 4.8.
> However if we want to - and I would really like to hear your opinions here
> - then we _do_ have the option of tying ourselves to Qt 4.7 and include
> QtWebKit 2.0 there.
>
> There are pros and cons for such a move. I'm going to list a few I can
> think of. Henry and others, please add any missing points.
>
> Pros:
>
>    * More widespread distribution of the release together with Qt 4.7.
>    * Free deployment - especially on the desktop platforms - as part of the
> Qt 4.7 binary packaging.
>     * More feedback by participating in the beta release cycles.
>
> Cons:
>
>    * We have to release at the same time as 4.7 comes out, or earlier. If
> we're late, then 4.7 becomes delayed, too.
>    * Increased pressure on us by adding another stakeholder (the Qt 4.7
> program).
>

> What do you guys think?

So a poll in the team here in Oslo revealed that the majority of us in Oslo
are in favour of including QtWebKit 2.0 in Qt 4.7.

Any other opinions out there? :)

If we go that route, then I'd still like to provide source tarballs of the 2.0
release of course, for those who are using Qt 4.6. The source tar ball can be
compiled and installed against 4.6.

Simon