[webkit-qt] QImage vs QPixmap

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Wed Mar 3 12:31:14 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Zack Rusin <zack at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2010 14:35:03 Antti Koivisto wrote:
> It was really the GL pipeline we were thinking about and I think that is still
> very valid.

I understand that there is a texture cache for QImages too when
rendering to OpenGL context. Is there still real performance
difference between the two? (besides the more general point of whether
trying to render a web page using OpenGL is sensible in the first
place)

> Software renders are a great answer to the question of quality, rather than
> performance. It's especially the case for mobile devices where even though

We don't want that kind of trade-off. Modern mobile browsers deliver
both speed and high quality rendering.

> GPU's are usually slower than the CPU's they use a very small fraction of the
> power that it would take to rasterize something on the CPU. So it's a

This is a very board statement. GPUs are very good in some things and
bad in others. I don't think rasterizing a typical web page is in the
first category. I have yet to see anything that would convince me
otherwise.

> combination of factors, if you end up using GPU's through and through you
> optimize for power usage, memory consumption and more often than not speed, if
> you end up using CPU's you usually optimize for the quality of rendering and
> simplicity of usage.

The key is to figure out the right ways to utilize the GPU.

   antti