[webkit-qt] QtWebkit2.1 version number

laszlo.1.gombos at nokia.com laszlo.1.gombos at nokia.com
Tue Dec 21 07:09:17 PST 2010

Hi,

> > At least on linux, I would consider it messy to have the soname
> > (technical version) not in sync with the release/documented version.
> > It would be bad to have a "release numbers translation table", even
> > worse to have versions resembling the original Qt versions.

> It's quite common that the soname is different from the documented project
> version. KDE for example has been doing it for years with its libraries :)

I agree with Simon. QtWebKit project/package not only delivers QtWebKit.{so/dll} but also other binaries like the QML plugin, platformplugin, etc.. Versions are not aligned (and they should not be) for all these libraries; this was another reason to decouple QtWebKit project/package version from the QtWebKit.{so/dll} binary version.

Also, decoupling QtWebKit project/package versions from main Qt releases was another conscious decision, aligned with http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/26/qt-is-going-modular/ (this is no different than QtMobility versioning).

I agree though that aligning the major version numbers between the QtWebKit project version (2.1) and the main binary deliverable (QtWebKit.{so/dll}) might make sense. Perhaps we can bring the two together for 5.0.

Laszlo