[webkit-qt] WebKit2 and QtWebKit

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri Apr 30 06:47:21 PDT 2010

Hi,

after the WebKit contributor's conference we've had a couple of really good
discussions about WebKit2 and the Qt port. We concluded - among many options -
that the best way forward would be try to make the single-threaded QtWebKit
that we currently have work better first. So we would continue down that road
for a while more and once the single-threaded version flies, then it would make
sense to join the WebKit2 project. There are fruits left in the performance
tree, especially in the text branch :-)

For the actual work on porting Qt to WebKit2 I think we should explore the
idea of a new API, based on the same version of WebCore. Perhaps we'd simply
end up with still one QtWebKit DLL, but more classes in the public API :)

I propose that we try to get funding for a one week workshop with 5-10
developers. The goal would be to spend the week to get a Qt based WebKit2 up
and running in the trunk. I think the work would consist of cleaning up our
layer violations and implementing a basic API/wrapper on the WebKit2 side.

I heard the Szeged hackers suggested to have that workshop in their university
in Hungary, which I think is a great idea.

What do you guys think?

Simon