[webkit-help] Debugging Memory Leaks in WebKit

Joe Liccini joliccin at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 25 15:03:39 PDT 2021

Hi WebKit Help,

I am investigating what I believe is a memory leak in WebKit that is manifesting as high memory usage for Office 365 online apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) for Safari users.

I have downloaded and built the source of WebKit, and by opening and closing a document or two, can very quickly get the memory utilization of WebKitWebProcess beyond 1 GB.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience investigating memory leaks on WebKit? I can attach via the debugger but I'm not familiar enough with the code or tools to best identify common sources of memory leaks.

Thanks!
Joe