[webkit-help] I Can't Get My Proxy Environment Vairables to Take Precedence Over the Dconf Proxy Settings

Kapono Haws zicklag at katharostech.com
Wed Aug 5 09:46:39 PDT 2020

Hello everybody, I’m having an issue with a WebkitGTK-based app that I’m building where I am unable to set the HTTP proxy settings through the http_proxy and https_proxy environment variables because the system Dconf settings take precedence over them. In an environment where Dconf is not present, i.e. a https://github.com/indigo-dc/udocker container, I can confirm that the environment variables work perfectly, but on my Pop!_OS ( Ubuntu ) 20.04 system, the Dconf settings override the environment variables.

I would be fine setting the proxy settings through Dconf, but the issue is that the username and password authentication settings from Dconf are not respected, so there is no way to configure my username and password through the system dconf settings. The username and password work fine when set through environment variables though. Normally even this wouldn’t be an issue much because Webkit would show the proxy authentication prompt dialog, but this doesn’t work because in my app, the request that needs the proxy authorization is a cross-origin request:

CONSOLE ERROR Blocked https://api.jujucharms.com/charmstore/v5/~katharostech/lizardfs-gui-0/icon.svg from asking for credentials because it is a cross-origin request.

So this gist is that I either need to be able to do one of three things, in order of preference:

Be able to make the proxy environment variables take preference over the dconf settings or otherwise disable the use of dconf for the proxy settings

Be able to have webkit respect the /system/proxy/http/authentication-password and /system/proxy/http/authentication-user dconf settings

Be able to get cross-origin requests to prompt for proxy authentication

​