[webkit-help] Slow Performance on Ray Tracing and Pointer Lock

Brian Barnes ggadwa at charter.net
Sun Mar 27 22:28:55 PDT 2016

I put in two bug reports (25254565 and 25254546) in the bug reporter for these.

I’m working on a javascript 3D engine where every pixel, sound, normal, spec, shadow map, etc, is dynamically created.  It’s in the early stage, but Safari has a couple problems.

The software has two stages: one, where it creates all the assets, and then the second, where it uses them to play a game.  Chrome, FF, and Safari run the second part well (but sometimes Safari has a little more trouble with in-between frame GCs, but it’s pretty good all around.)  The first part gives Safari fits, and most notably when the system ray-traces the map surfaces to build a light map.  For a good sized map it takes about a minute on Chrome or FF, but Safari takes well over 8 minutes.  In that one piece it’s surprisingly inefficient in Safari.

The second point is that there seems to be absolutely no public discussion on Pointer Lock, which is something I’ve obviously need and seems to be part of the spec now.  You feature list on the safari blog doesn’t have it.  Is this coming?  Is there anything I should be aware of expecting it to be there (i.e., it’s part of some fight, not that you could tell me, anyway!)

Thanks!

Here’s the software, feel free to use it to test you’re new javascript builds, it very much stresses the system:

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/ <http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/>

[>] Brian