[webkit-help] What is the purpose of WTF::OSAllocator and WTF::fastMalloc in Webkit?

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 9 06:09:53 PST 2016

09.12.2016, 16:40, "Bono Damodi" <probablynotthebestone at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the answer. So what was the reason that two allocators are used? I see OSAllocator getting memory from the system for some parts of Webkit using mmap, and the same time I see fastmalloc using tcmalloc to get memory by mmap for other parts of Webkit. What are advantages of one allocator over another in these specific cases?

This question boils down to question why people use anonymous mmap when they have malloc, where OSAllocator is counterpart to mmap. This doesn't have much to do with WebKit. There are 3 major reasons to use mmap:

1) JIT-compiled code must be in executable memory pages in order to be runnable, and you cannot assign execution priviledges with malloc-like API as they are set per page;
2) large continuous memory areas, like JS stack, can be implemented  more efficiently with mmap - you never ever need to copy data when growing, in contrast to realloc
3) sometimes general-purpose allocator just does not work good enough for particular allocation pattern in terms of speed and/or memor fragmentation, e.g. this may be the case for large numbers of same-sized objects, or for huge allocations. Improvement of generic allocator may negate the need for custom allocator, this is the reason why some code is getting ported from OSAllocator to fast(Aligned)Malloc over time

--
Regards,
Konstantin