[webkit-help] WebKit Update

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Dec 8 00:56:02 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Plamen Dimitrov
<plamend at coherent-labs.com> wrote:
>> Could you explain whether
>
> 1) the Safari Technology Preview 18 branch will be merged back to the development branch and any potential bug fixes of the preview will be committed to the development branch.

If you’re referring to trunk (https://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk;
an equivalent of master branch in git lingo) branch as “the
development branch”, then it’s other way around.  We make all changes
on trunk first, and then branch for Safari Technology Preview.  So all
code changes included in Safari Technology Preview 18, as well as 19,
and those ones that will be included in the future releases of Safari
Technology Preview are committed into trunk.

We periodically make a branch from trunk to make Safari Technology
Preview releases.

> 2) or the potential bug fixes will be committed to the STP branch and later the entire branch will be merged back into development. In other words, is the branch containing the fixes parented by the STP branch?

No, we make almost all of code changes on trunk first, and then merge
into release branches of Safari Technology Preview as needed.

- R. Niwa