[webkit-help] What is the situation regarding broken font rendering?

Jon Rimmer jon.rimmer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:02:43 PDT 2015

On 14/09/2015 15:58, Simon Fraser wrote:

> Just to clarify, this is an OSX-wide problem, and not specific to WebKit.
> WebKit is dependent on underlying libraries for text rendering, graphics
> and compositing, and this bug is a consequence of rendering text into
> transparent textures, when the destination pixel colors are unknown.
>
> Considerable engineering effort was spent earlier this year in trying
> to come
> up with a solution to this problem. Some of this happened in
> WebKit[1], but
> unfortunately we were not able to come up with a solution that worked well
> in all cases. It’s still a high priority item for us, but we are very
> dependent on
> other frameworks.
>
> I did make an improvement which should make animations less likely to
> trigger
> changes in text rendering[2]. Does your content still show lots of
> text flickers
> in El Capitan or a recent WebKit nightly?

Thanks Simon. It's reassuring to know this is still a priority, at
least. I don't have access to a machine with El Capitan, but in a recent
WebKit nightly, the problem seems to be somewhat ameliorated vs Safari
8, but I'm still seeing quite a lot of flickering fonts, including in
areas that aren't animating, and the page occasionally getting "stuck"
in the wrong antialiasing mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVoE9fLukQk

Jon