[webkit-help] Feedback about Content Blocking Extensions from Adblock Plus

Arthur arthur at adblockplus.org
Mon Jun 29 02:43:36 PDT 2015

> I looped in Arthur (aka. MontzA, the EasyList author). I hope he can
> provide some more concrete examples. Also he might be aware of some use
> cases I didn't point out yet.

Sorry for my late response! Here are some examples currently in EasyList:

@@||www.networkadvertising.org/choices/|$document: this exception rule
fixes the opt out page for "interest-Based Advertising" (
http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/). Without the $document option
tons of specific exception rules would be necessary to fix this page to
work properly. Also, there is no need to regularily check if new ad
networks have been added since due to the $document option the /choices
page will always be whitelisted completely (including iframes).

On http://www.jabong.com/ there is an iframe from ad.doubleclick.net which
doesn't serve ads but rather self-promotion for the site itself. Without a
$document option you would need to allow a banner from 2mdn.net
(DoubleClick) and a JS file from pagead2.googlesyndication.com (Google
AdSense & DoubleClick) in that very ad.doubleclick.net iframe. In that case
you cannot restrict it to the jabong.com domain anymore. So allowing that
banner and script is basically allowed for any website using iframes from
ad.doubleclick.net then which is pretty bad. The $document allows you to
specifically allow that iframe (including all requests in it) and only for
a specific domain (jabong.com) in this case.

--
Arthur Kawa

IT Officer Trainee

Eyeo GmbH

Im Klapperhof 7-23

50670 Cologne, Germany

VAT-ID: DE279292414

District Court Cologne: HRB 73508

Managing Directors: Wladimir Palant & Till Faida