[webkit-help] More feedback regarding Content Blocking

Romain Jacquinot rjacquinot at me.com
Wed Aug 19 17:17:17 PDT 2015

Hi,

Based on our previous discussions and some additional limitations I encountered recently, here is a summary of my feedback regarding content blocking in Safari:

Much needed (no adequate workarounds currently available):

1) A resource-type for plugin-initiated requests.
2) Ability to add exception rules for a specific page (not just the domain) that applies for all of its content and frames. Same as point 5 below.
3) Ability to add exception rules for a specific page (not just the domain) loaded within another page (frame) that applies for all of its content and frames. I thought "if-domain" and "unless-domain” alone would be sufficient for my use cases, but unfortunately they aren’t.

Desired improvements (workarounds exist but result in a bad user experience):

4) Ability to programmatically enable/disable a previously-manually-enabled content blocker without having to go through the compiler every time.
5) Ability to whitelist/blacklist a full webpage or website for a content blocker without having to go through the compiler for all the rules, for instance by using a separate JSON file as discussed here https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-help/2015-August/003954.html

Welcomed improvements (workarounds exist but are not always elegant):

6) A resource-type for plugins (object) like Flash, Java, etc.
7) An additional load-type: the current implementation considers as third-party both content from completely different domains and content from different subdomains but with the same domain. There should be a 3rd available load-type where all subdomains are considered as first-party.
8) Wider support of regular expressions: support for (abc|def), {n}

Thanks.

Romain