[webkit-help] Retina or HIDPI displays.

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Thu May 15 16:30:58 PDT 2014

Hi Christopher,

On 5/15/14, 4:21 PM, Christopher Bayliss wrote:
> I have a program that uses webkitgtk, see:
> https://github.com/cjbayliss/web-browser/blob/master/browser.py
>
> When I run it on my new Macbook Pro Retina, all websites look really bad
> because it seems to interpolate the text resolution instead of
> displaying the text @2x. In other words all text looks blurry. I there a
> way I can make my program display right on my retina display?
>
> On my Macbook Pro I am running Fedora 20 with GNOME 3.12.
>
> This is a hard thing to explain, you really need to see it to know and
> sadly screenshots don't show the problem unless you have a hidpi screen.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated! :-)

WebKit has full support for retina display. Each port (Apple, GTK, EFL,
etc) has to support the device scale factor to render correctly on retina.

It is likely something is missing in WebKit-GTK or Cairo. You should
start by asking on the webkit-gtk mailing list
(https://lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo/webkit-gtk).

Benjamin