[webkit-help] WebKit Remote Web Inspector

Vienneau, Christopher cvienneau at ea.com
Fri Jun 20 16:11:38 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm investigating the possibility of getting access to the "Web Inspector" UI http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebInspector#no1 remotely via another browser/process.  This is useful when attempting to debug a page on a device that doesn't have the same screen real estate as your PC, such as a mobile device.  I'm familiar with "Weinre" http://people.apache.org/~pmuellr/weinre/docs/latest/Home.html which offers many of the features of Web Inspector in a fashion that I'm talking about; but some important elements are missing, such as profiling and java script debugging.  I found "heX" https://github.com/netease-youdao/hex is able to do what I want, but I would like to be able to accomplish the same thing from WebKit itself, since the target platform isn't on the pc.  Searching through the WebKit source code I can't find any trace of it having the ability to open a listening port to have a debugging client attach.

Is such a thing already possible?  The docs, and older mail threads suggested that remote operation was once a goal of Web Inspector, does work continue on this vein? Please offer any suggestions on how this might be accomplished.

Thanks

Chris Vienneau