[webkit-help] Errors in LocalizedStrings.cpp: newline in constant

haiming-gavin.ji at schneider-electric.com haiming-gavin.ji at schneider-electric.com
Mon Jan 13 17:17:26 PST 2014

Hi Moon,

I ever meet the same issue as you. My environment is Win 7 32 English with
default English language. To pass compile, I just replace the string with
others. Not sure any problem.

    ..\platform\LocalizedStrings.cpp(248): error C2001: newline in
constant

Regards,

Gavin

Moon <lzl124631x at 163.com>
Sent by: webkit-help-bounces at lists.webkit.org
2014/01/13 16:06

webkit-help at lists.webkit.org,
cc

Subject
[webkit-help] Errors in LocalizedStrings.cpp: newline in constant

Hi there,
With gcc installed and some other minor problems fixed, I've managed to
build WebKit-r161524 (2014-01-09 02:29:27 GMT) on 10 January. I posted my
build experience on
http://blog.csdn.net/lzl124631x/article/details/18098361. (I also posted
my question on stackoverflow but it turned out to be a tumbleweed.)

I still have one more question. I met the same error message as one year
earlier when I built WebKit for the first time. The error message and my
solution are as below.

Error Message:
     ..\platform\LocalizedStrings.cpp(248): error C2001: newline in
constant
Or
     ..\platform\LocalizedStrings.cpp(250): error C2001: newline in
constant
Solution:
     Open Source/WebCore/platform/LocalizedString.cpp, search "Look Up",
delete the DOUBLE-BYTE double quotation marks around “%@” and “
<selection>”.

This problem is caused by the double-byte double quotation marks around %@
and <selection>. I just deleted the marks and the error was gone. However,
I don't think this is a "real" error otherwise the WebKit team must have
noticed it and had it fixed. Maybe this problem is cause by the default
character encoding method of my environment (My system locale is Chinese)
but I'm not sure about that.

Could anyone give me some hints on why I met this problem and how to fix
it in the right way? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Moon