[webkit-help] Errors in LocalizedStrings.cpp: newline in constant

Moon lzl124631x at 163.com
Mon Jan 13 00:06:32 PST 2014

Hi there,
With gcc installed and some other minor problems fixed, I've managed to build WebKit-r161524 (2014-01-09 02:29:27 GMT) on 10 January. I posted my build experience on http://blog.csdn.net/lzl124631x/article/details/18098361. (I also posted my question on stackoverflow but it turned out to be a tumbleweed.)

I still have one more question. I met the same error message as one year earlier when I built WebKit for the first time. The error message and my solution are as below.
Error Message:
     ..\platform\LocalizedStrings.cpp(248): error C2001: newline in constant
Or
     ..\platform\LocalizedStrings.cpp(250): error C2001: newline in constant
Solution:
     Open Source/WebCore/platform/LocalizedString.cpp, search "Look Up", delete the DOUBLE-BYTE double quotation marks around “%@” and “<selection>”.
This problem is caused by the double-byte double quotation marks around %@ and <selection>. I just deleted the marks and the error was gone. However, I don't think this is a "real" error otherwise the WebKit team must have noticed it and had it fixed. Maybe this problem is cause by the default character encoding method of my environment (My system locale is Chinese) but I'm not sure about that.

Could anyone give me some hints on why I met this problem and how to fix it in the right way? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Moon