[webkit-help] Is there a documentation for bytecodes?

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Wed Dec 10 13:11:23 PST 2014

Hi Jiho,

On 12/10/14 11:40 AM, Jiho Choi wrote:
> I was wondering if there is any documentation for JSC's bytecode
> instructions.
> Source/JavaScriptCore/bytecode/BytecodeList.json provides the list with
> an opcode and the length of each bytecode instruction, and I was
> wondering if there exists further explanation.

There is no documentation or formal definition of the bytecode.

You can find what each bytecode does by looking at the pseudo-assembly
of the interpreter.

In LowLevelInterpreter64/LowLevelIntepreter32_64, you will find a low
level description of what each bytecode does. That low level description
is what is used to generate the actual interpreter.

Benjamin