[webkit-help] [MAC] :: HTML5 Video player not well identified : QT expected => AVF suspected ("instead")

Hugo Machefer hugo.machefer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 01:54:28 PDT 2013

Allow me to jump into this => disclosing my conclusions about playing HTML5
video content by WebKit on MacOsX:

   1. *AVFoundation *is used as primo-player (by default)
   2. *QTKit *is used as a fallback in case something wrong happens with *
   AVFoundation *(missing or broken by /System/Library)

Investigations have been led by both :

   - temporarily removing /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation...
   - at your own risk, remain cautious
   - putting traces in *MediaPlayerPrivateAVFoundation.mm *constructor +
   play
      - traces oberved at runtime
   - putting traces in *MediaPlayerPrivateAVFoundationCF.cpp *constructor +
   play
      - not compiled for MAC
   - putting traces in *MediaPlayerPrivateQTKit.cpp *constructor + play()
   method
      - traces observed in case /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation is
      damaged or not present

-- hmachefe

PS: assuming "*runtime never lies*" I expected rather to place breakpoints
across DDD (or even GDB) but gave up:
burdensome binary / libraries ? Execution was too slow, & WebKit didn't
succeed in expressing itself serenely ;-(