[webkit-help] JSC: Minimal MSVC build

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 19:40:50 PDT 2013

Hi Brian,

On Jun 10, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Brian Barnes <ggadwa at charter.net> wrote:

> Neither with removing the need for the pthread library (which I suspect might become more difficult on later version as I'm not sure where the new worker threads spawning is done -- webkit or jsc.)

We've actually removed the need for pthreads in the current Windows build. Unfortunately, a few other support libraries still rely on it, so it is still in the distribution.)

> My question is this.  In the later versions, has work been done anywhere to create a more minimal version?  I understand this would not be high priority for the webkit team, but a easy to compile MSVC version that did away with a lot of the extraneous DLLs would help a lot of us that are embedding the engine elsewhere.  A DLL that depended on nothing but itself would be great.

ICU is heavily used by both CoreFoundation/CFLite and WebCore.  It is probably not too difficult to exclude most support libraries from the JSC library, but someone would have to come up with the necessary Windows configuration and make sure it keeps building.

We have some plans to get cmake working properly for the windows build, which would be a  good way to give you some control over what gets included in JSC. Unfortunately, that work is not very high priority at the moment.

Thanks,

-Brent