[webkit-help] Customizing WebKit to disable .top property in frames (Unidirectional Parent -> Frame access)

Jimmie Lin jimmie.lin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 05:54:07 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am developing a custom WebKit-based application which has a web interface
providing a javascript API (stored in a variable called "System") to
several "child interfaces" in frames. I am providing the frames a stripped
down version of the API (stored in "System.User") using code that looks
like this:

var frame = document.getElementById("frame");
frame.contentWindow.System = System.User;

Now, I do not want the child frame to be able to do something like
"document.window.top.System = null" and destroy the whole thing running
above. However I cannot turn on the "sandbox" iframe feature as that would
prevent me from providing the frame with its own copy of the API in the
first place.

I have attemped to do the following:

frame.contentWindow.parent = null;
frame.contentWindow.top = null;

But this does not work, as the .top property is a read-only one and cannot
be overwritten. Other methods using just Javascript to solve this problem
proved not possible. Since I can deploy the application using a custom
build of WebKit, where in the source should I look into modifying to
totally remove the .top property in frames?

I want the frame to be able to communicate with the parent strictly by
using the System object in it, but full access to the frame should be
completely unidirectional.

I have ran into this issue in node-webkit describing what I want to do
(although it still provided frames with an alternative - I don't need such
functionality) https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/issues/534 but it's
a modification for the V8 Javascript engine. How would I modify WebKit's
own JavascriptCore/SquirrelFish to do this for me?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
- Jimmie Lin