[webkit-help] Need help in building Webkit on Ubuntu 12.04

Julien Chaffraix julien.chaffraix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:07:43 PST 2013

> I am trying to build Webkit on Ubuntu 12.04

You never build WebKit, you always build a *port* of WebKit. Giving
this information for future help would be nice, though here it seems
that you are building the GTK port.

> I am getting this linker error, can you please tell me how can I fix it?
>
>   CXXLD  libwebkit2gtk-3.0.la
> ./.libs/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so: undefined reference to `u_charMirror_48'
> ./.libs/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so: undefined reference to `ublock_getCode_48'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [Programs/unittests/testhttpbackend] Error 1

These are ICU symbols so it seems that your system is missing the
required version of the ICU library or that you don't link against it
for the unit tests.

With the little information you gave, we can only guess as to what
went wrong. You will probably need to find the solution yourself but
here is some ideas:
* Make sure you have followed the official build instructions [1] to the letter.
* Put the build in verbose mode to see which libraries you link against.
* Double-check if the version of the ICU library you are linking
against has the missing symbols.

Hope it helps,
Julien

[1] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingGtk