[webkit-help] Automatic Layout Test Execution for Cross Compiled Platforms

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Nov 8 09:36:00 PST 2012

Hi Arun,

Ryosuke's suggestion is a good one; in addition, I believe there is a
group at Sony (?) that has done something similar, but their patches
haven't been upstreamed yet.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Arunprasad Rajkumar
<ararunprasad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ryosuke.
>
> Are you guys running Tools/Scripts/new-run-webkit-tests script in Android
> device or it is been triggered from the host?

It runs on the host.

> Usually things are cross compiled right? How the build system & target
> system(where webkit runs) are interconnected?

Yes, things are compiled on the host. If you're developing
interactively, you just compile as normal, and then run
new-run-webkit-tests, which will either expect the binaries to have
been downloaded to the device, or download them itself. The script
contains all the hooks you need to implement whatever process you want
(it can even do a build to ensure things are up to date).

The major wrinkle you need to implement is to figure out some way for
the binary on the embedded driver to be able to access the test files
that live on the host. Usually either you can cross-mount a filesystem
or wrap file:// access urls in something like an http server that can
retrieve things.

In an automated system (like buildbot), the bot scripts run on the
host and just launch new-run-webkit-tests when appropriate.

-- Dirk