[webkit-help] Question regarding the porting of webkit

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Jun 5 11:03:49 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Leander Bessa Beernaert <
leanderbb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the wiki page (http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SuccessfulPortHowTo) has
> little information regarding this topic, i want to ask you guys what
> exactly it takes to create a custom port webkit.

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Take WinCE port for
example. They have very little code.

More precisely, i would like to develop an HTML5 runtime framework with the
> webkit engine, not a traditional browser, per se. The framework would be in
> charge of rendering and interaction, plus some special goodies which i have
> in mind.

That sounds a lot like PhantomJS: http://code.google.com/p/phantomjs/

Long story short, my question is: what do i need do to port webkit? Where
> do i start looking?. Also, could it be possible to remove Javascript as
> scripting language and use Python instead?

That sounds like a lot of work but you can take a look at Objective-C
binding. You'll probably need to add some custom code generator for Python
binding.

- Ryosuke