[webkit-help] Disabling rendering changes processing behavior in WebCore

wkdev911 wkdev911 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:05:56 PST 2012

Hi,

I am currently fighting with a problem that disabling rendering in WebKit
may change the final content of a web page.

All I need is the final HTML after JS is executed (main page plus any
secondary frames/iframes), so I thought that disabling creation of
renderers may be a valid way to improve performance a little bit.
So, I am using an option in Document class
(WebKit\Source\WebCore\dom\Document.h) to disable renderers:
Document::setShouldCreateRenderers(false).

When comparing output HTML for the cases when renderers are enabled and
when disabled, I see that in certain rare cases disabling rendering also
causes some frames being missed. This looks like the main frame is missing,
but a secondary frame become the main frame (i.e. the pointer to the
secondary frame is returned instead of the pointer to the main frame, when
the top level IWebFrame object is asked for IDOMHTMLDocument). As a result
if we dump DOM in HTML, we get only partial content and without the main
frame.

Have anyone faced such problem before? Any suggestions how to fix this are
appreciated.

-Luc

P.S. I don't this this is port-specific but just in case I am using
WinCairo port.