[webkit-help] Problem about DerivedSources of WebKit

Julien Chaffraix julien.chaffraix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:44:35 PDT 2011

>  I wonder that why are there so many derived sourece code.

Simple, because it is easier to auto-generate them - ie to maintain a
script that does the generation - than to manually maintain the files
themselves.

>  How are they generated automatically?

That depends on the files you are interested in. We have several generators:
* make_names.pl for the element factories
* makevalues.pl and makeprop.pl for the CSS values and properties
* generate-bindings.pl (and friends) for the bindings generation.

A _precise_ question would get a better answer: what are you trying to do?

> Could they be modified?

Usually you don't want to modify the auto-generated files as anything
that triggers a generation would overwrite your changes. The scripts
are modified fairly often and that's the preferred way.

Hope it helps,
Julien