[webkit-help] WebKit for multiple Mac OS versions

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 06:37:41 PDT 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 7:54 AM, Simon Härtel wrote:

> We are considering to ship a custom build or nightly build of WebKit with our application, which runs on Mac OS X 10.5 and later, to take advantage of the latest improvements to HTML editing (especially removal of Apple style spans). We noticed that the nightly builds come in different versions for each major OS version. Is it possible to get/build a WebKit which runs on all Mac OS versions starting with 10.5?

Apple's Mac port of WebKit decides at compile-time what OS features to use. If you wanted to do something like you describe, you'd have to change it to decide a run-time instead. That would be quite a large project.

You'd also need to be sure that your custom build of WebKit doesn't introduce any naming conflicts with the system version (e.g., duplicate class names, etc.). That is also a challenging task.

-Adam