[webkit-help] Creating tests in LayoutTests/fast/

Razvan Caliman rcaliman at adobe.com
Wed Jun 1 01:13:31 PDT 2011

Thank you, Sravan and Adam.

I had a feeling that the naming refers to the speed of the test run, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you!

From: Sravan <sravan.ken at gmail.com<mailto:sravan.ken at gmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:22:05 +0100
To: Adam Roben <aroben at apple.com<mailto:aroben at apple.com>>, Razvan Caliman <rcaliman at adobe.com<mailto:rcaliman at adobe.com>>
Cc: "webkit-help at lists.webkit.org<mailto:webkit-help at lists.webkit.org>" <webkit-help at lists.webkit.org<mailto:webkit-help at lists.webkit.org>>
Subject: Re: [webkit-help] Creating tests in LayoutTests/fast/

Hi Adam /Razvan,

Based on my experience, I have a little different understanding. What I had seen is that all the tests inside fast folder run real fast compared to other tests. When I used to run layout tests, it used to take approx 20seconds for running 1 test in other folders, whereas the tests in fast folder would take only 1-2 seconds. So, if you feel your test is taking anything more than 5-10 seconds please include it in the appropriate test directory as Adam mentioned. otherwise you can include it in fast directory in the appropriate test directory inside fast folder.

That is the reason I believe we have category of tests (e.g. css) inside fast whereas same category of tests also exist outside (css1, css2 etc).
End of the day, your tests would run where ever you keep them inside LayoutTests folder. The only difference comes when we start running the tests w.r.t a particular directory like,

./run-webkit-tests fast

or

./run-webkit-tests css2.1 etc.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

-Sravan