[webkit-help] Slow to render images?

Tim Visher tim.visher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:13:42 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Tim Visher wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if WebKit is
>> just inherently slow to render images. I have a javascript slide show
>> where I would like to display a serious of fixed position images in
>> quick succession. Firefox works very well and uses little to no CPU to
>> do this.
>
> Sampling shows that WebKit is spending a lot of time downsampling the images (since you
> are shrinking them down), and doing color correction. Does Firefox do color correction on the images?

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I have no idea if Firefox does color correction. Quick googling
doesn't provide anything super obvious.

As a short cut, is there any way that I can make sure that my images
will not be color corrected?

The original site that I've made these demos off of does not
downsample images, they are served at exactly the size they're styled
at. I'll correct the main demo to reflect that.