[webkit-help] Slow to render images?

Tim Visher tim.visher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:13:57 PST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if WebKit is
just inherently slow to render images. I have a javascript slide show
where I would like to display a serious of fixed position images in
quick succession. Firefox works very well and uses little to no CPU to
do this.

WebKit, however, chews up an entire core and displays the images at a
significantly slower rate than desired.

It does this in WebKit nightly, Safari, and Chrome.

I've published a [test page][1]. If I try [significantly simpler][2]
or [compressed to oblivion][3] images, WebKit seems to perform
alright.

[1]: http://random.twonegatives.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/id-cycle-rendering-demo/
[2]: http://random.twonegatives.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/id-cycle-rendering-demo/performant.html
[3]: http://random.twonegatives.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/id-cycle-rendering-demo/low-res.html

I'd like it to perform well so I don't know if someone can suggest
something I could do to get good performance.

If anyone reading this is on Stack Overflow, I've also published a
[question][4] there that hasn't gotten much traction yet, hence this
post.

[4]: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8524241/how-can-i-optimize-images-to-render-efficiently-in-webkit

Thanks in advance!

--