[webkit-help] Webkit-Cairo build failure

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:14:45 PDT 2011

Hi Chris,

On Aug 8, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Chris Waldron wrote:

> Ok.  I see that I should be using the following command ...
> WebKit/Tools/Scripts/build-webkit --wincairo --release
>
> However I'm getting a different set of build errors.  I'm failing in
> WebCoreGenerated.

I have to admit that I have not attempted to build under VS 2008 using the command line; my typical practice is to open the WebKit/win/WebKit.vcproj/WebKit.sln in VS2008, allow it to perform the upgrade from 2005-2008, and then build.

I use the command-line build only with VS2005 for the build machine.

> /home/CHRIS~1.WAL/WebKit/Source/WebCore/webaudio/AudioBuffer.idl
> 4>gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
> 4>Can't call method "fileName" without a package or object reference at
> /home/CHRIS~1.WAL/WebKit/Source/WebCore/bindings/scripts//IDLParser.pm line
> 101.
> 4>make: *** [JSAbstractView.h] Error 1
> 4>make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> 4>gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
> 4>gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
> 4>gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
> 4>Can't call method "fileName" without a package or object reference at
> /home/CHRIS~1.WAL/WebKit/Source/WebCore/bindings/scripts//IDLParser.pm line
> 101.

It may be that the IDL system uses gcc in some fashion, but I was under the impression that gcc was never used on the Windows build.  The fact that it's showing up in the build log is very suspicious.

By any chance are you generating VS project using the CMake files?

Also, please note that the build requirements stuff that get installed automatically by the build system are for VS2005, and will continue to be until Apple chooses to update to a more recent compiler.

If you build using VS2008 using the stock "update-webkit --wincairo" tools, you will get a finished binary that uses some VS2005-based code, and some Vs2008 vased code.  This may be okay, but I generally try to avoid this.

I have built the various requirements separately under VS2008 to make sure everything links against a common VC runtime, but have not made this publicly available.

-Brent