[webkit-help] [webkit-dev] Building WebKit on windows for the first time

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:13:46 PDT 2010

Hi Frederic:

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Frederic Gos <frederic.gos at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

As you pointed out, the complaints about the $(PRODUCTION) and
$(DXSDKDIR) environment variables are not important to your linking
problem.

> [...] The big problem is when the build reaches linking. It tells med Out of
> memory (LNK1102) every time.

This has actually been brought up on this (and the development) list
several times.

There are three known ways to resolve the problem:

1.  Build on a 64-bit operating system (e.g., Vista or Windows 7 64-bit).
2.  I have heard that Microsoft KB949009
(https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=18623)
may correct the problem.
3.  Or, you can turn off Whole Program Optimization on the WebCore
project (see "Configuration Properties|C/C++|Optimization"), and turn
off Link Time Code Generation on the WebKit project (see
"Configuration Properties|Linker|Optimization").

The last option will definitely work (I do this for my test box, which
is only 32 bits), though the best long-term choice is to run a 64-bit
OS.

Good luck!

-Brent