[webkit-help] Webkit GTK build issues

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Mon May 17 22:42:36 PDT 2010

On 05/16/2010 02:22 PM, Josh Roesslein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build webkit GTK on ubuntu 9.04, but ran into some troubles.
> Since the system installed glib is too old, I compiled a newer version
> and installed it in a local location.
> I then setup PKG_CONFIG_PATH, PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at this
> location.
> Everything compiles fine until linking. It seems the build system is
> still trying to link against the system
> glib instead of the one I compiled.

This isn't really a webkit problem, per se.  The problem is that it's
somewhat difficult to replace glib without also compiling your own
copies of other glib-using libraries, like gtk and atk.  It's a little
hard to control the library search path order on the linker command line
when libtool goes to link the final libwebkit-1.0.so file.

If you look at the command immediately above the one in the output you
posted (the libtool command that caused libtool to generate the command
line that you did post), you'll probably see a couple instances of
'-L/usr/lib' in the command *before* the directory with your
self-compiled copy of glib.

Sometimes just recompiling gtk etc. will work, but occasionally there's
*something* in the order of stuff passed to libtool that keeps getting
/usr/lib searched first.  Unfortunately there's often a bit of trial and
error involved to get it working properly.  If you can bite the bullet
and upgrade to a version of Ubuntu that has the required versions, you
may save yourself a bit of pain, but I certainly understand that
upgrading might cause you some pain in other areas!

	-brian