[webkit-help] opening HTML5 video on an external app

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at apple.com
Tue Jul 13 11:27:24 PDT 2010

Rafael -

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Rafael Antognolli wrote:

> I want to implement a way to open a HTML5 video using an external
> application, instead of playing it directly inside the browser. Anyone
> have some idea on where is the best code to look at? I was thinking
> about changing the port-specific implementation of
> platform/graphics/MediaPlayer.cpp and RenderTheme.cpp. Is that a good
> place to put this stuff?

  I would create a new "media engine" (MediaPlayerPrivateInterface) for your port that implements whatever behavior you need. An instance will be instantiated and passed a url when WebKit wants to open a movie, so you can launch your application and pass it the url.

  Take a look at one of the port specific implementations in WebCore/platform/graphics/[port]/MediaPlayerPrivate[port].

eric