[webkit-help] App Store rejection because of private APIs in embedded WebKit

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Wed Dec 29 07:45:39 PST 2010

Hi Daniel -

On Dec 29, 2010, at 10:29am, Daniel R. Schneider wrote:

> I'm sure I'm not using any private APIs in my own code, it seems the WebKit build is using those somewhere. I tried to search the WebKit source, but also didn't find any of the mentioned APIs.

Unfortunately as soon as you compile the code and include your own copy of the code, it does become "your code." :)

> Does anybody have an idea why Apple's App scanning shows these APIs to be used? If I would know where in WebKit these APIs are used it would maybe be possible to replace them with public APIs(?)…

I would probably use grep and/or nm to find out which specific libraries the symbols are being located in, then zero in from there. I note that a crude search of Apple's own system-bundled WebKit libraries doesn't seem to include references to e.g. NSPopUpCarbonMenu3.

Daniel