[webkit-help] Build JavaScriptCore for iOS

Andreas Linde andreas at culturedcode.com
Thu Aug 5 09:01:57 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,

we are trying to build JavaScriptCore as a static library for iOS from the trunk. We reached some issues and hope someone would be able to hint for a solution.

Using the XCode project files and Debug configuration we were able to create a static library for armv7 which works nicely when running it with the debugger turned on. When starting the app on a device without the debugger it gets killed immediately without any more information on the console.

Without changes we get the following warning messages (plus the ones mentioned below):
ARMv7Assembler.h:384: warning: implicit conversion shortens 64-bit value into a 32-bit value
ARMv7Assembler.h:385: warning: implicit conversion shortens 64-bit value into a 32-bit value

To get it compile we had to make the following changes to the Base.xcconfig file:
GCC_TREAT_WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS = NO;
Remove -Wshorten-64-to-32 from WARNING_CFLAGS_iphoneos = $(WARNING_CFLAGS_BASE);

This results in 4 warning messages left:
Assertions.cpp:61: warning: function might be possible candidate for 'CFString' format attribute
CollatorICU.cpp:68: warning: type-punning to incomplete type might break strict-aliasing rules
JITArithmetic32_64.cpp:1384: warning: unused parameter 'currentInstruction'
JITArithmetic32_64.cpp:1384: warning: unused parameter 'iter'

Trying armv6 doesn't even compile without any error. So we left this for a later step.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Andreas