[webkit-help] Instructions for building in Visual C++ 2005 Express. (October 2009)

Jawahar Muthukrishnan JMuthukrishnan at Novarra.com
Fri Oct 30 10:26:21 PDT 2009

I faced a lot of problems when building WebKit on Windows... I am
posting this message to help others who run into the same type of issues
I had.. Hopefully, this helps. I made some changes in files to hard-code
directory locations.. I am sure there is a better way, so, please let me
know of a better way.. However, the following instructions helped to
build successfully. Good Luck.

When I tried building from CygWin, I was getting errors that were
difficult to debug. I would recommend that you build it from Visual C++.

Also, I downloaded the FULL list of packages in Cygwin.. I didn't want
to have missing executables.

For building in VC++

execute after getting source code

1.  WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/update-webkit

2.  WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/update-webkit-auxiliary-libs

Set System Environment Variables

a. WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR

b. WEBKITOUTPUTDIR

Visual Studio :

Setting Cygwin bin.

a. Toos->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC Directories->Executable ..
set Cygwin/bin

Project to open from Visual C++

b. Open
D:\CygwinAll\home\jmuthukrishnan\WebKit\WebKit\win\WebKit.vcproj\WebKit.
sln solution in VC++

Errors:

a. On Rebuild.

1>bison -d -p jscyy
/cygdrive/d/CYGWIN~1/home/JMUTHU~1/WebKit/JAVASC~1/parser/Grammar.y -o
Grammar.cpp > bison_out.txt 2>&1

1>cpp.exe: /tmp/dftables-WNnxOfzf.in: No such file or directory

1>cpp.exe: warning: `-x c' after last input file has no effect

1>make: *** [chartables.c] Error 1

1>make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

SOLUTION:

1.       Open
D:\CygwinAll\home\jmuthukrishnan\WebKit\JavaScriptCore\pcre\dftables.

2.       The problem is caused because for whatever reason the tmp
directory doesnt have a full path.

3.       Near the end of the file, look for the line "open(CPP,
"$preprocessor \"$tempFile\" |") or die "$!";"

4.       Just before this line, add, "$tempFile =
'D:/CygwinAll/'.$tempFile;"... obviously, make sure the path to the
tmpFile is correct

b. "pthread.h", "unicode/uchar.h" : No such file or directory found.

SOLUTION:

You need to execute
"WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts/update-webkit-auxiliary-libs"

c. Can't open perl script
"/cygdrive/d/CYGWIN~1/home/JMUTHU~1/WebKit/JAVASC~1/docs/make-bytecode-d
ocs.pl": No such file or directory

SOLUTION:

Visual C++ is probably using some PERL exe.. Only Cygwin's PERL exe
should be used.. reorder, Executable dirs in Tools->Options.

d. can't exec /usr/bin/gcc ...

SOLUTION:

in webcore/bindings/scripts/CodeGeneratorObjC.pm and IDLParser.pm..
files, change "/usr/bin/gcc" to "gcc-4" or whatever is in Cygwin/bin
directory