[webkit-help] webkit memory optimization

luying pan luying.pan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:40:11 PDT 2009

Can someone read this post and help me understand it better?

http://sendreceivereply.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/less-webkit-is-more-webkit/

I'm having  a lot of trouble understanding why webkit chews up so much
memory. This blog post helped me somewhat, although not enough for me to dig
into the code and do the optimizations myself.

This guy's basically saying that the way webkit is mapping fonts is
inefficient. So much that after their tweaks displaying google.com dropped
from using 30MB to only 4MB. That's a huge reduction in memory!

I'm not sure if they're contributing this kind of changes back ... I doubt
it since it certainly takes more than 4MB to display google.com on the
latest nightly builds.

Luying