[webkit-help] Using the font rendering library of WebKit

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 10:53:14 PST 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Majd Taby <mtaby at me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if it was possible for me to extract the font rendering
> library of WebKit and use it in my own graphics-related project to generate
> text for images. I figure since WebKit is open source I could probably do
> it, but still wanted to make sure, and also perhaps get some guidance around
> the code if that's possible.

WebKit doesn't really have a font rendering library of its own, it
defers to the operating system for that. What WebKit does is manage
fonts as it pertains to the web, such as matching font families on the
local system based on what is requested in HTML or CSS, and caching
fonts to improve rendering speed.

If you want a nice open source font rendering library, FreeType
(http://www.freetype.org/) is generally the way to go.

--
Regards,
Ryan