[webkit-help] Accessing DOM on Windows

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Mon Nov 2 11:12:53 PST 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Jawahar Muthukrishnan wrote:

> I am trying to access the DOM on Windows. I looked at WebKit.idl file. It includes a lot of DOM specific interfaces
>
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLDListElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLDirectoryElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLDivElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLDocument.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLEmbedElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLFieldSetElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLFontElement.idl"
> #include "IGEN_DOMHTMLFormElement.idl"

These particular interfaces are no longer built as part of WebKit. They have never been completed. You'll need to use the interfaces in DOMCore.idl and the other DOM*.idl files instead. We hope one day to transition to te IGEN_DOM* interfaces (and at the same time remove the "GEN_" parts of their names).

> However, I don’t see a class (coclass) implementing these interfaces in the IDL file.

That's because we don't support creating these objects via CoCreateInstance.

> How do I access these interfaces?

You can retrieve DOM objects from IWebFrame (e.g., IWebFrame::DOMDocument). That's the main way to access them.

-Adam