[webkit-help] v8 binding source in Webkit source tree

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:07:42 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM, n179911<n179911 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I notice there is v8 binding directory under Webkit source tree:
> ./WebCore/bindings/v8.
> I thought Webkit has it own JavaScript engine: SquirrelFish.  Can you
> please tell me what is the v8 binding for?
> Does that mean I can swap out  Webkit's SquirrelFish JS engine to
> replace it with v8 engine?

The Chromium project is a fully-integrated 'port' of the WebKit
project.  They keep their v8 bindings in the main source repository to
help maintain consistency and to make it easy to keep Chromium in sync
with WebKit.

It is possible to use v8 if you wish, but I'm not sure what the
appropriate compiler flags would be.

Unless you have a compelling reason to use v8, and are targeting
WebKit (rather than Chromium) for your development, I would ignore the
v8 code.

The v8 code is sometimes out-of-sync with the rest of WebKit (it
usually lags slightly) until the Chromium team checks appropriate
changes into the archive.

I hope that answers your question,

-Brent